Need Help getting a local interopability project going? Ask the
State Interoperability Communications Team for help.
Upcoming Events & Training09/08/14 SE SCIP Council Meeting
09/11/14 EC SCIP Council Meeting
09/24/14 NW SCIP Council Meeting
10/01/14 Region 54 700/800 Planning Meeting
11/10/14 Interoperability Council Meeting
Monday, August 25, 2014
FirstNet Weekly Update - August 25th
· FirstNet staff members have been participating in outreach events across the country the past two weeks continuing dialogue with key partners.
o TJ Kennedy traveled to the Pacific Northwest for the Oregon SIEC meeting, Washington state OneNet Stakeholder/Technical Committee Conference, Joint Tribal Emergency Management Conference (TEMC2014), followed by a meeting in Utah with the Utah Commissioner of Public Safety, Utah Highway Patrol, Summit County Sheriff’s Office, and Park City Fire District.
o Carl Rebstock facilitated a FirstNet educational panel discussion at the TEMC2014 with TJ Kennedy and Richard D. Broncheau, PSAC member and chairman of the Tribal Working Group. The conference was held in Spokane, WA and drew close to 400 attendees from across the country. During and following the conference, Carl met with numerous federal liaisons and tribal leaders, notably including Brian Patterson (Oneida), president of United South and Eastern Tribes (USET) and Brian Cladoosby (Swinomish), president of the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI).
o Board member Jeff Johnson and Vicki Lee presented FirstNet updates at the IAFC Fire-Rescue International Conference and Expo in Dallas, TX.
o Brian Hobson spoke at California’s second Town Hall in Bakersfield, CA.
o Kristi Wilde co-presented FirstNet updates with SPOC Steve Noel (OR) and SWIC George Molnar (NV) at the Public Safety Broadband Network Outreach and Awareness session in Oklahoma and participated in the Nevada Telecommunications Association conference in Lake Tahoe.
o Rich Reed addressed FirstNet questions at the Delaware SIEC and broadband working group meeting in Dover, DE.
o Vicki Lee presented a FirstNet overview at the NCSL conference in Minneapolis, MN.
o Amanda Hilliard participated on a FirstNet panel at the League of Arizona Cities and Towns Conference and at the Phoenix Fire Department in Arizona with Michael Britt (AZ) and moderated by Councilman and PSAC member Scott Somer.
· FirstNet staff received an informational overview on Nlets – the International Justice
· The user advocacy team continues to process lessons learned and actions from the first face-to-face consultation meeting in Maryland on July 29. The next consultation meeting is September 24 in Minnesota, followed by meetings in Oregon 10/8 and Washington 10/16. To date, the team has received completed state consultation checklists from 23 states and territories: Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Guam, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Washington DC, Wyoming.
Recaps and continued discussion from the APCO Conference were still primary topics among public safety and communications trade articles from this past week.
APCO Roundup–Courtesy TRDaily: FirstNet Officials Cite Need to Integrate NG 911
FirstNet's Kennedy highlights progress made during the past year
Video - McAfee: Scott Montgomery discusses FirstNet security
Mutualink Whitepaper Addresses FirstNet Collaboration Challenges
Federal Agencies Reviewing Bureau of Information Technology Use of Federal FirstNet Program Funds
ITEXPO: CIOs Explain Where We Are, Where We're Going
@FirstNetGov received and shared photos from the different outreach events from across the country. The FirstNet Twitter account now has more than 760 followers, and the LinkedIn account has more than 185 followers. Please visit the FirstNet blog for a photo recap from APCO, a recap of the IAFC 2014 Fire-Rescue International Conference, check out the infographic created as an outreach tool by the Oregon state outreach team, and more: http://firstnet.gov/newsroom/blog
From the States
· Washington state released a 6 minute video “Bringing FirstNet to Washington State” available at https://www.ocio.wa.gov/onenet. The video features the Chief of the State Patrol plus a fire chief, police chief, emergency management director and a 911 center director talking about what FirstNet will mean to Washington. Great work Bill Schrier and team!
· The Idaho Rural Partnership (IRP) and the State of Idaho will host the third annual LinkIDAHO Broadband Summit on August 19, 2014 in Boise, ID. Rob Feeley, with the Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security, will be both presenting and moderating a panel on Idaho's involvement with FirstNet.
· FirstNet conducted monthly SPOC calls in Regions 3-9. Below are a few highlights:
o The following states are working on or recently completed FirstNet outreach events at the county level: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa. Illinois highlighted leveraging emergency managers in each county to host the meetings and help develop the invitation list. Many states are also focusing on regional, state association, and state agency meetings to get the word out on FirstNet.
o Many states are finalizing FirstNet websites including Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas.
o Arkansas highlighted a free online meeting service, Fuze, which may be useful for other states conducting webinars.
o To build its stakeholder engagement list, Iowa is using icapture on an ipad to record attendance at outreach events and briefly survey attendees.
o Texas will wrap up its regional outreach meetings at the end of the year and plans to take some time to reflect on what’s worked well and what can be improved – stay tuned for their findings.
Monday, August 25, 2014
FirstNet Initial Consultation Response
On 8/25 the Interoperability Council formally moved to submit a reply to FirstNet on behalf of the State of Wisconsin providing answers to the questions that were containing within the package.
The response may be seen here:
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Wisconsin Interoperability Initiative Employement Opportuntities
The Wisconsin Interoperability Initiative is excited to announce two positions open for recruitment within the Interoperability Unit at the Wisconsin Department of Justice.
Communications Interoperability Program and Policy Analyst
Interoperable Communications WISCOM Program Manager
Please feel free to distribute these postings to any potential candidates for either of these positions.
Friday, July 18, 2014
WI FirstNet Newsletter - July 2014Please find the very first newsletter dedicated to the Public Safety Broadband Wireless project in Wisconsin. It may be found here: WI FirstNet Newsletter - July 2014
Friday, July 18, 2014
FEMA - ARRL Sign Updated MOA
On July 18, 2014, ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) conducted a public signing of a memorandum of agreement (MoA) at the ARRL's Centennial Convention. Signing for the ARRL was President Kay Craigie, N3KN, and signing for FEMA was administrator W. Craig Fugate, KK4INZ.
The relationship between ARRL and FEMA goes back to 1984 when an MOU was inked that helped ARRL volunteers coordinate their services with emergency management at all levels of government. The 2003 SoA demonstrates the ARRL's commitment to community emergency preparedness through the Citizens Corps programs. The new MoA builds on 30 years of cooperation and collaboration between ARRL and FEMA as well as the League's commitment to Citizens Corps.
The full MOA may be downloaded here: FEMA - ARRL 2014 MOA