Need Help getting a local interopability project going? Ask the
State Interoperability Communications Team for help.
Upcoming Events & Training08/25/14 Interoperability Council Meeting
09/24/14 NW SCIP Council Meeting
10/01/14 Region 54 700/800 Planning Meeting
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Wisconsin Interoperability Initiative Employement Opportuntities
The Wisconsin Interoperability Initiative is excited to announce two positions open for recruitment within the Interoperability Unit at the Wisconsin Department of Justice.
Communications Interoperability Program and Policy Analyst
Interoperable Communications WISCOM Program Manager
Please feel free to distribute these postings to any potential candidates for either of these positions.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
SPOC FirstNet Weekly Update - August 12
· The APCO Conference in New Orleans drew more than 5,000 attendees and had 13 FirstNet-focused educational sessions that were well attended by public safety, state and local officials, and vendor representatives. Several panels included FirstNet management members, as well as Board member Jeff Johnson. In addition, Ed Parkinson presented at the APCO Executive Council meeting and TJ Kennedy presented before thousands of attendees at the Distinguished Achievers Breakfast. Numerous market research meetings with vendors were held in New Orleans at a separate location.
· The FirstNet User Advocacy is currently working with Minnesota, Oregon, and Washington to finalize their consultation meetings for September and October. We have received a total of 22 completed consultation checklists: Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Guam, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Washington DC and Wyoming.
· The FirstNet Board plans to hold a special meeting via teleconference Friday, Aug. 15 from 11:00 am – 12:00 pm EDT. An agenda for the special meeting will be posted to www.firstnet.gov prior to the meeting.
· The August SPOC call schedule is as follows:
o Aug 18 (Regions V & IX)
o Aug 20 (Regions VI, VII, and VIII)
o Aug 22 (Regions III & IV)
o Aug 28 (Regions I, X, II)
From the States
· The state of Maryland has release a report summarizing lessons learned from its initial consultation meeting: https://mdinterop-my.sharepoint.com/personal/chris_mdinterop_onmicrosoft_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=igjZzHWD2ghM9Oy6%2fQy7uUsVtp7er9%2fH72J7P2Hzinc%3d&docid=09bcc925251234d24b982bf50d5e8d1f3
Traditional Media – The APCO Conference was the primary topic among public safety and communications trade articles from this past week. We will be providing a comprehensive media report to the Board next Monday on APCO news coverage. The MD consultation meeting also received follow up coverage last week (see below). The Washington Post ran an online article about FirstNet that was developed by an analyst from DelTek, which is a consulting and software company.
· FirstNet Wireless Broadband Network Moving Forward
· Sneak Peak: What States Can Expect from FirstNet Consultations
· First-responder Broadband System a Rare Opportunity for Public Safety, FirstNet Official Says
· (TRDaily – subscription) FirstNet Board To Meet August 15
The First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) board plans to hold a special meeting via teleconference Aug. 15 from 11 a.m.-noon eastern time. A notice did not mention an agenda for the meeting, but the board may vote on a spectrum lease with the state of Texas on behalf of Harris County. Texas and FirstNet officials have said they are close to completing their lease negotiations, and special temporary authority from the FCC to operate the Harris County network expires later this month
Social Media – The FirstNet Communications team participated in the latest in an ongoing series of White House events on the use of social media during emergencies on Friday, August 8. The FirstNet Twitter now has more than 725 followers, and the LinkedIn account has more than 175 followers. Please visit the FirstNet blog for several reports from FirstNet leadership about the APCO conference: http://firstnet.gov/newsroom/blog
Friday, July 18, 2014
WI FirstNet Newsletter - July 2014Please find the very first newsletter dedicated to the Public Safety Broadband Wireless project in Wisconsin. It may be found here: WI FirstNet Newsletter - July 2014
Friday, July 18, 2014
FEMA - ARRL Sign Updated MOA
On July 18, 2014, ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) conducted a public signing of a memorandum of agreement (MoA) at the ARRL's Centennial Convention. Signing for the ARRL was President Kay Craigie, N3KN, and signing for FEMA was administrator W. Craig Fugate, KK4INZ.
The relationship between ARRL and FEMA goes back to 1984 when an MOU was inked that helped ARRL volunteers coordinate their services with emergency management at all levels of government. The 2003 SoA demonstrates the ARRL's commitment to community emergency preparedness through the Citizens Corps programs. The new MoA builds on 30 years of cooperation and collaboration between ARRL and FEMA as well as the League's commitment to Citizens Corps.
The full MOA may be downloaded here: FEMA - ARRL 2014 MOA
Friday, July 11, 2014
Request for comments on Model City for Demonstrating and Evaluating Advanced Spectrum Sharing Technologies
NTIA and the Federal Communications Commission’s FCC Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) issue this Joint Public Notice to seek public comment on the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) recommendation that the Secretary of Commerce establish a public-private partnership to facilitate the creation of an urban test city that would support rapid experimentation and development of policies, underlying technologies, and system capabilities for advanced, dynamic spectrum sharing. The test services (referenced herein as a “Model City”) for demonstrating and evaluating advanced spectrum sharing technologies could include large-scale sustainable facilities for systems-level testing in real-world environments across multiple frequency bands, including public safety and selected federal bands.
Through this Joint Public Notice, NTIA and OET seek to promote the Model City concept in conjunction with: (1) the new Center for Advanced Communications established by NTIA and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and (2) the FCC’s existing experimental licensing program.
Comments will be due 45 days after publication of this notice in the Federal Register.